Friday, June 24, 2011

Yep! I'm a strange one.

Everyone who knows me, knows that the strangest things make me happy. A cool cake, a pretty cookie, an educational breakthrough, a mowed lawn, a deal. These kinds of things make me happy. Giddily happy. Giggling to myself in public happy. I am a simple woman. (Shut up, honey!)

Everyone who knows me, knows that I love a project. I have a tendency to jump in with both feet and completely immerse myself. The latest project around here is couponing. I have resisted using coupons for 20 years. They are too annoying, not worth the hassle, and they are just for stuff I wouldn't buy anyway. They are still annoying. And, yes, I am buying things I ordinarily wouldn't. But they are totally worth the hassle!

So far I have gotten razors, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, body wash, nail polish, and candy for free. FREE!!! My favorite kind of deal! These are things I would not have normally bought. We never buy the newest expensive razors. We have always used the whatever was on sale or cheap at Walmart razors. But free makes all the difference in the world. We have never bought body wash. We don't have money to burn like that. But free? Sure, bring it on. And it is fun!!! Who knew shopping could be so much fun?

Today's deal was cereal. We eat a fair amount of cereal around here. I thought I was saving enough on it by just buying what was cheapest. If it was on sale, we could buy froot loops. If it wasn't, tootie frooties here we come. And then we started couponing. Last week, I was happy when I got raisin bran and froot loops for $1.50 a box. Made me happy. I realize now that it was not the super deal I thought it was. It could be so much better.

At HEB today, I bought 12 boxes of fruit roll ups and 28 boxes of cereal. I know it sounds extreme. It even looks extreme.

My total before coupons was $85. I almost swallowed my tongue. My total after coupons was $38.54!! That is 96 cents a box! Very exciting if you are strange like me, but it gets better. With my receipt I got 3 $5 coupons good on my next trip to HEB. Hello? Another $15 off makes this haul a whopping 59 cents a box. Are you kidding me? If I hadn't done it, I would not believe it.

Let me just add that we had never before brought home Dora cereal. Brynna had begged a few times, but I was NOT spending $3+  a box on that crap. Maybe for her birthday. I was pleasantly surprised. No bells, whistles, or sugar bombs. Just tiny little stars, lightly sweetened with a touch of cinnamon. Brynna is a happy girl.

So is her mommy. And yes, I did let Brynna have cereal for dinner. And Aiden had honey nut cheerios. He thinks it is Spongebob cereal. Shhh! Don't tell!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I need to go shopping with you. I guess I am also going to have to start clipping ALL the coupons like you do. Before I was only getting the ones that I knew I would use. Hmm. Anyway, I am so glad that I have you to help me. lol.

    ReplyDelete